Advanced Technologies available at Gilbert Eyecare
- Retinal Wellness Scans – This advanced scan can replace the need for dilating drops in most cases! Our camera uses the latest technology to simultaneously take a picture of the inside of the eye while also performing Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT) to take careful retinal measurements. The resulting picture is excellent for photo documentation by giving your doctor the ability to easily compare changes from year to year. The camera’s OCT feature has the ability to scan through the individual layers of the retina to measure the precise thicknesses of the tissue inside the eye. Changes in thickness are often the earliest signs of various eye disease, such as glaucoma and macular degeneration.
- iCare Tonometers – These handheld devices are used to check the pressure inside the eye with absolutely no discomfort or use of numbing eye drops. Our patients love this addition to our practice because it completely replaces the “puff of air” test!
- Corneal Topographers – This advanced camera can measure the exact curvature of the front surface of the eye (cornea) so that we may identify certain corneal diseases, like keratoconus or pellucid marginal degeneration. Our latest camera also has the ability to measure the length of the eyeball itself from front to back so that we can monitor the progression of myopia (nearsightedness) in kids!
- Tear Osmolarity – Osmolarity of the natural tears is usually elevated in causes of ocular surface disease, which will leave the eyes feeling very dry. This test allows your doctor to quantify the health of your natural tears so that we may better treat your individual dryness issues.
- Anterior segment OCT – Our office uses our OCT camera for fitting specialty contact lenses (hard contact lenses) to measure and perfect the fit of the lens on the eye down to the micron! That’s 1/1,000 of a millimeter!