Gilbert Eyecare offers Comprehensive Eye Care to patients. The eye care professionals at the Norfolk and Virginia Beach offices not only can appropriately determine eyeglass and contact lens prescriptions, but also fully assess the eyes looking for both eye and overall general health problems. Annual eye exams are important because the eyes are the window to patients health and well-being.
The full spectrum of eye care is offered to clients of all ages, from babies to senior adults: vision assessment, eye alignment testing, contact lens evaluations, medical eye care, and immediate care for eye emergencies.
Comprehensive Eye Exams
- Thorough vision evaluation
- Refraction to obtain glasses prescription
- Medical management of eye disease
- Evaluations to detect early signs of diseases like diabetes and high
- blood pressure in the eye
- Contact Lens Evaluation consistent with determining the right replacement schedule, material, curvature, size, and power of the lenses specific to patients’ needs
- Contact lenses that correct farsightedness, nearsightedness, astigmatism, poor ability to read
Specialty Contact Lenses
- Patients with conditions like Keratoconus can benefit from specialty contact lenses. These include the newest technologies in scleral contact lenses
- Colored contact lenses for patients with a need for medical or cosmetic prosthetic lenses
- Orthokeratology/Visual Shaping Treatment lenses. These are retainer-like lenses that are worn at night to sleep and taken out during the day to see clearly without correction
Pediatric Eye Care
- Glasses prescriptions (refractions)
- Eye alignment testing
- Binocular vision (eye muscle) evaluations
- Vision Therapy
Dry Eye Syndrome
- Dry Eye Syndrome (DES) is a chronic condition that occurs when your eyes’ produce a poor quality tear film that does not lubricate the eyes properly
- DES can cause burning, irritation, itching, and can even affect vision
- DES can cause watering of the eyes as well. This seems backwards, but when the eyes’ are dry they send a signal to the brain which overcompensates by sending the waterworks
- Utilization of both over-the-counter and prescription treatment options individualized for each patient on a case-by-case basis.
- Tidewater is one of the areas in the U.S. most impacted by allergies
- In addition to pills and nasal sprays, there are prescription and over-the-counter treatment options that can be utilized to help symptoms. In certain cases, eye drops can be used in place of other treatments for allergies.
Diagnosis and Management of Eye Disease
- This includes Glaucoma, Macular Degeneration, Keratoconus, and Cataracts.
Diabetic Eye Care
- Patients with Diabetes need an annual eye exam. This is because Diabetes affects tiny blood vessels in the body, and the eye is the only place where they can be directly visualized.
- With dilated eye exams and pictures of the back of the eye, the earliest signs of the blood sugar affecting the eye can be caught. These findings are communicated to patients’ primary care doctors and/or endocrinologists to aid in the management of the condition.
Emergency Eye Care
- Gilbert Eyecare is available for emergency walk-in patients
- Pink eye and other infections, contact lens-associated pain, flashes of light, floating spots, eye pain, eye injuries, and many others